It May Be Slippery But I Love the Sweet Tea

I boarded the plane last night around 7:00 P.M.  A small little man with a Napolean complex was right behind me.  He rambled on about his large apartment in Dupont and how he had been bumped out of first class and how he worked for his dad...blah, blah, blah.   But for whatever reason, I entertained his conversation. 

We boarded the 737 and headed for the far back of the plane (thats what I get for not choosing my seats).  As I passed through the first class cabin full of businessmen who were already seated, I paid no attention.  All of the sudden I hear Napolean say "he you wanna take a picture...it will last longer".  I turned around to see a fifty-something businessman look at him in disbelief.

"What did you say", the man asked.

"Did I stutter", Napolean replied.

I kept moving for the back of the plane, unaware of what was going on.  As we got to our seats, Napolean turned around and said, "did you not see that man staring at you"?

I laughed and said, "No, but I don't usually pay attention anyhow".

I settled into my seat in disbelief.  I cannot believe a complete stranger would say something to another complete stranger over a girl that was a complete stranger.  Then I had a following thought...eww what if somebody thought Napolean was my boyfriend...yuck.  Oh, well...the people you meet on the road.

I arrived in Charlotte around 9:00 P.M.  It was colder there than it was in Baltimore.  A balmy 19 degrees.  The snow on the sides of the banks on I-77 glowed under the lights and was canvased in a sheet of ice.  Nonetheless, I was beyond elated to see empty highways (or what seemed like empty highways in comparison to my daily nightmare in NOVA) and even more excited to get a giant glass of sweet tea.

I woke up this morning in Augusta, GA to the sound of birds chirping.  Thats another thing I love about the South... It's January and the birds are chirping.  I layed in the bathtub and daydreamed about owning a house on the Savannah River, laying in the hammock (which I would surely turn into my new office), and getting smacked in the face with that humid Southern air.

There's not much in Augusta to do...but the slow pace of life, good golf, and excellent local quisine are enough to keep this girl happy.  It's 11:30ish now and I'm already contemplating a walk to Soy Noodle House (quite possibly the best Thai food in Georgia).  My mind is racing (cilantro and peanuts, a spicy dish, chicken, beef)...oh the possibilities.

Beyond the food, I am so happy to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city.  Thank God for the South (and I think there is a song that adds "and turnip greens") and the good ole people who live here.  It is the one place that I can still go to find some rest and recovery from the madness of city living and being ON THE ROAD.

Comments

  1. Enjoy. People can be rather strange.


    Enjoy Augusta. Hey, it sure beats the heck out of Great Falls...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned in an Airport

Eat, Pray, Love - Live Life Out Loud